Sacred Heart College Lower Hutt was established by The Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions in 1912.
The foundress of the order was Euphrasie Barbier, through whose faith, vision and courage so many education ventures have been established across 19 countries. Her particular vision was the education of young women and girls in missionary countries. The sisters first came to New Zealand in 1865 and in the years since have established eight secondary schools and worked in a large number of primary schools.
Up until 2000 Principals of the college were members of the Congregation of Our Lady of the Missions:
Sacred Heart College was the first secondary school to be opened in the Hutt Valley and was originally sited on High Street on the property now known as Margaret Street. In 1957 the College shifted to its present location in Laings Road. In May 1980 it became the first Catholic School to be integrated. At the time the role was 600 and since then there has been a steady increase in numbers with a present roll of over 800.
Sacred Heart offers an education with a special Catholic character, and seeks, through the general school programme and in its religious instruction and observances, to exercise the right to live and teach the values of Jesus Christ as expressed in the Catholic Church. These values permeate the total daily life of the school, and involve teachers, students and parents. The whole reason for the College’s existence is that it aims to guide young people in a life of the spirit. It is hoped that in the Catholic atmosphere of the College the individual girl will become the Christian woman she is capable of being, and the Virtue and Knowledge represented by the V.K. on the College monogram will become an integral part of each student’s life.
College during 1980s
Performing Arts Suite